Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Day of Fly-Fishing at Davidson River

Taking advantage of coming home (Hendersonville) for Mothers Day I called Dad up for a day of fly-fishing at Davidson River. Surprisingly Dad gets there early so we head out toward Brevard and the entrance to Pisgah National Forest. We find a nice pull-off and get geared up with my new Caddis Deluxe Breathable Chest Waders and Caddis Wading Boots. I start off with a type of stone fly but after observing a few Blue Winged flies being active around the waters I changed to a Blue Winged Olive. Not too familiar with all the various types of dry flies, nymphs, midges and such but I am experienced enough to observe what's flies are active around the stream. Davidson River is indeed one of my favorite places for fly-fishing. The slow flowing currents provides many pools to cast upon. The water was cool and clear with a good flow. Fishing at a slow and steady pace, I wanted to give the trout every opportunity to strike. I lost sight of dad at one point. He had made a quick trip to Arby's to bring back lunch. After our picnic, we fished for another hour or so until time ran out for dad to get back to Sylva. Dad had caught a small rainbow (4") in a nice pool at a bend in the stream. Davidson River is mostly catch and release so he let it go to catch it again another day. I, on the other hand,  didn't catch any trout but did manage to attract a total of 9 ticks crawling on me. Today was a great prelude to Mother's Day.

Dad caught a nice size branch

Fly in the water


No comments:

Post a Comment