Thursday, September 19, 2013

CAMPSITE #4 AT RATTLER FORD GROUP CAMPGROUND

For more than 40 years my family has been going to Santeetlah, camping and fishing. Miraculously this place has never changed. We have camped at numerous primitive campsites along the Santeetlah River, at Horseshoe Campground, along Snowbird River, near Stewart Cabin, at Rattler Ford Group Campground, and at Lake Santeetlah. But there's one campsite that has always eluded us all these years. Everyone has stated multiple of times about the allure of staying at campsite #4 in the Rattler Ford Group Campground. Last weekend we finally camped at site #4. For a family and friends camping trip my sister had made the appropriate reservations on the only weekend that site #4 was available. Just past Robbinsville, Rattler Ford is about 3.5 to 4 hours away from Charlotte depending on how you drive. After leaving early from work I arrived around 5:30. My dad and brother-in-law Paul were pitching one tent while Pat and Steve Steinbrueck, family friends, were making fresh avocado dip. My sister along with my two nieces, Owen and Barrett, would arrive an hour later. This campsite has all the important amenities like several picnic tables, tent pads, lantern hooks, nearby restrooms with showers, a really nice fire pit, and my favorites like being excluded from the other sites and being located right next to a mountain stream. Hamburgers and baked beans were on the menu for supper. After hours of glaring at the flames and casual conversations the group slowly dwindled one at a time while everyone retreated to the tents. Eventually it was my turn but instead of retreating to a tent I had strung up ENO hammock between two healthy trees near the open fire. The weather would be perfect fall weather with sunny days in the upper 70's and starry nights in the upper 50's. Bailey, my dog, was in the hammock with me radiating a great amount of heat that kept both of us warm. Morning came early as to a few family members getting up and stirring at 6:15am. When camping, the best part of the day for me is at an early morning fire eating a hardy breakfast. Some would say with a hot cup of coffee but I lack the addiction. After breakfast, Dad and I suited up and bombarded the stream with our tackle. Within the first hour I caught two wild spotted brooks and dad had one. By lunch the tally was four to one, all spotted brook. Changing the venue up a little, Dad and I took my nieces, Owen and Barrett, out on Lake Santeetlah in the canoe for more fishing. We needed about two more fish for everyone to have a good trout dinner that night. As far as fishing on Lake Santeetlah, and watching a fishing pole slowly sinking out of sight and from our grasp and battling the canoe against the current while fishing I would say the canoe trip was a failure. But as far as spending quality time with the nieces, the canoe trip was successful. Once we returned to Campsite #4 I tried my luck downstream. With three more in my creel and at my limit of 7 for the day I had to stop and hike back to camp. This meant we would have trout and a Satterwhite tradition of fried potatoes and onions for dinner. Feeling stuffed, everyone then gathered around the roaring fire sipping wine, exchanging jokes, having some good conversations, and squeezing in a Smores or two. The moon was piercing through the trees while the stars dotted the skies. Then next morning we all reluctantly pack up and head out of Campsite #4 to Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. Campsite #4 had definitely exceeded the expectations I placed on it.






























1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing details of such a lovely trip.
    looking forward to heading to that area for the first time.
    Thanks for the input.

    ReplyDelete