Wednesday, March 13, 2013

CONGAREE NATIONAL PARK, SC

A sunny and 65'+ weekend is a calling for me to be outdoors. So, down the road I go. After about 110 miles down I-77, I find the entrance of Congaree National Park. Registering in the Rangers Office for a campsite for the night. Longleaf Campground was completely full for the weekend so my only options were to camp at the Bluff Campground or find a spot in the backcountry. The Bluff Campground was about a mile down the Bluff Trail to an open field with 6 sites. Each site was equipped with a picnic table and a fire ring. Upon setting up my tent and kitchen area ( about 30 minutes time ) the last four available sites were already taken. A beautiful, warm and free weekend brings the crowds outdoors, and all before 10 am. Down the trails I go. Feeling ambitious I charge down the River Trail (10 mile loop) to the Congaree River and back. Along the way one will cross a number of  "guts" or small creeks with cone-shaped cypress trees and water tupelo protruding out of the water. The forest along the river is notably denser then that of other trails with giant cherrybark oak trees scattered throughout the park. Some are covered with Spanish moss dripping off their branches. Woodpeckers are in abundance within the park with echos of hammering filling the air all around you. If you get a chance to look down you'll find deer tracks on top of deer tracks as well as raccoon, bobcat, and wild boar tracks. I saw fresh boar tracks and evidence of boar wallowing in the mud. Cedar Creek flows through the middle of the park and is an excellent pathway for canoes and kayaks. Back at the campsite with rubbery legs I took advantage of the warm sun with a quick nap. Bailey agreed. I woke to a Ranger making his rounds so we chatted awhile. (Side Note: The staff here is very nice and helpful). A lot of dead wood laying around provided a nice pile of firewood for the night. I then tried some survival skills I learned from the show Dual Survival by starting a fire the hard way. With some lent I packed from the dryer at home ( my mothers suggestion ) I lit the lent with ease with a flint stick and the back of my knife. Surprisingly it worked. Now for roasting hotdogs with a sturdy stick over the fire. Clear skies, bright stars, eating roasted hotdogs by the roaring fire with no bugs and some dinner music coming from two campsites over makes for a great end to a good day. Group of scouts two sites over pulls out a guitar and a violin for some low tone dinner music. Checking out the Big Dipper, Little Dipper, Ryans Belt, and the North Star along with the aroma of a flaming fire makes for heavy eye lids. Was that a shooting star? Morning comes an hour early with the Spring forward thing. Breakfast brings hamburger and scramble egg wraps and cooold drinking water. I don't drink coffee. After teeth brushed, face and hair washed, and changing clothes I start packing up my campsite back into my Red Cloud backpack. Check out is at 12 noon. But it is only 10 am so I hike out to the parking lot along the Bluff Trail and load up my truck. Grabbing some water, snacks, and Bailey I head back into the park toward the Weston Lake Loop Trail ( 4.4 miles ) with a side spur trail to Wise Lake. Spring is coming and this was a great way to start.

Before you go and visit Congaree National Park I recommend you call for flooding conditions and the mosquito meter.

Total: 17 miles

Congaree National Park

Fresh Wild Boar Tracks

Cypress Trees and Water Tupelo

Cone-Shaped Cypress Trees

Cedar Creek

Wise Lake

Tracks ?

One of Many Deer Tracks

Sap Dripping from Veins

Massive Pines

Massive Pines

"Gut"

Cedar Creek

Cedar Creek






1 comment:

  1. nice job brother. 10 miler and 14 total sounds like a stellar weekend. hope the weather holds so you can keep it up.

    ReplyDelete